Practical Guidelines For Hiring
In general, employers should consider answering the following questions before interviewing applicants and while reviewing application forms:
- Is this question necessary to evaluate the applicant’s ability to perform the job?
- Is this qualification necessary to the performance of the job?
- Might this question inadvertently reveal a protected class status, like religion or marriage status?
- Are inappropriate assumptions being made about women, minorities, or other protected class members?
- Does this question (or qualification requirement) have a disproportionate impact on a protected class, such as women or minorities?